1. I am thinking about volunteering. What should I consider?
First, assess if you have time available each week to commit to volunteering. Then, think about your interests, skills and/or career plans – this will help us determine where you might volunteer.
2. When do you need volunteers?
We have volunteer placements 7 days a week starting as early as 7:00 am and going until 8:00 pm. Because more patient programs happen during the day, we have a greater need for weekday volunteers.
3. What do you look for in your volunteers?
We are looking for individuals that have the desire to help others, that are positive, caring, sensitive to the needs of others, are committed to what they take on, and are motivated, energetic and customer-service oriented.
4. Is there a time commitment?
We want to meet your needs by accommodating your busy schedule. However, we require a minimum commitment of one shift per week, totaling a minimum of 50 hours. Shifts can range from 1 – 4 hours depending on the placement.
5. Do I need any special immunizations to volunteer at Concordia?
No but we will inquire as to whether or not you have had chicken pox and/or been vaccinated if you are working in a patient care area.
6. I am an EAL student. What level of language do I need to volunteer at the hospital?
Your ability to read, write and comprehend the English language fluctuates and varies dependent upon the type of assignment. Assignments are in a direct and indirect care capacity. In both instances you must be able to understand and follow written and/or verbal instruction related to your role.
7. What type of reference do I need for my application form?
You need to get references from people that have known you for at least three months and are from different aspects of your life – teachers, co-workers, group leaders, supervisors, colleagues, etc. References from Family/Friends are not encouraged unless you have worked for them. Be sure to ask each person for permission to use his/her name as a reference and be sure to get his/her current daytime phone number.
8. Do I need a Criminal Record Check?
All volunteer applicants will require an Adult Abuse Registry Check and dependent on placement, a Child Abuse Check. All volunteer applicants over the age of 18 will also require a Criminal Record Check.
9. If I volunteer, will it help me get a job at Concordia?
Volunteering at any organization will help you gain skills for future employment. Volunteering at Concordia is unrelated to Concordia job opportunities. If you are job hunting, please see the Careers section of this website.
10. How do you decide where to place volunteers in the hospital?
Many factors are considered when matching volunteers to a placement including your availability, your interests and skills and how they match our current vacancies.
11. How old do you have to be to volunteer at Concordia?
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
12. I’m on a student visa. Can I volunteer?
Yes, you can.
13. I’d like to job shadow someone in health care. How do I go about doing this?
Volunteer Services does not coordinate job-shadowing requests. We do coordinate school practicums, co-op and volunteer placements.
14. Where do I park when I volunteer at Concordia?
Complimentary parking is available in the public parking lots in front of Concordia Hospital and Concordia Place.
15. Do you have opportunities for students during the summer months?
Yes. In order for you to start in July, we encourage you to apply early in June. Of course, you are welcome to stay on during the academic year.